Fu, Y., Michelson, R., Lin, Y., Nguyen., L, Tayebi, T., Hiniker, A. (2022) “Social Emotional Learning with Conversational Agents Reviewing: Current Designs and Probing Parents’ Ideas for Future Ones” The Proceedings of the ACM on Interactive, Mobile, Wearable and Ubiquitous Technologies (IMWUT) Journal. New York, NY
Peil, B., Kinnee, B., Michelson, R., & Rosner, D. K. (2022). Medium Design: Knowing How to Work on the World: By Keller Easterling (Book Review). New York: Verso, 2021, pp. 176. HB 9781788739320. $19.95/£ 14.99.
Michelson, R., Dewitt, A., Nagar, R., Hiniker, A., Yip, J., Munson, S., Kientz, J. (2021) Parenting in a Pandemic: Juggling Multiple Roles and Managing Technology Use in Family Life During COVID-19 in the United States Proceedings of the 24th ACM Conference Companion on Computer Supported Cooperative Work & Social Computing (CSCW ’21 Companion) New York, NY
Takeuchi, L., Martin, C. K., Barron, B., Barton, A. C., Camacho, F. P., Davis, E. A., Angela Calabrese, DeWitt, A., Hiniker, A., Susie Garcia Greenberg, D., Herrenkohl, L., Jones, D., Lin, V., Kientz, J., Lam, C., Zohar, L., Michelson, R., Munson, S., Nguyen, J., Pozos, R., Riter, D., Siciliano, P., Tasker, T., Turner, C.,Yip, J. (2021). Learning together: Adapting methods for family and community research during a pandemic, The Joan Ganz Cooney Center at Sesame Workshop.
Chisnell, D., Cho, G., Donohue, A., Harrell, C., Hunt, G., Kim, G., Michelson, R., Rodriguez., R., Wagner. L. Project Redesign Report: Pandemic unemployment and the social safety net (2021). The National Conference on Citizenship (website).
Druga, S., & Michelson, R. (2020). Research Toolkit for Family Speculative Play with Future Toys. Special Issue on Designing the future of technology with and for children, 39.
D’Ignazio, C., Michelson, R., Hope, A., Hoy, J., Roberts, J., & Krontiris, K. (2020). The Personal is Political” Hackathons as Feminist Consciousness Raising. Proceedings of the ACM on Human-Computer Interaction, 4(CSCW2), 1-23.
Kirchner, S., Sakaguchi-Tang, D. K., Michelson, R., Munson, S. A., & Kientz, J. A. (2020). “This just felt to me like the right thing to do” Decision-Making Experiences of Parents of Young Children. In Proceedings of the 2020 ACM Designing Interactive Systems Conference (pp. 489-503)
Gordon, E. Haas, J., Michelson, R. (2017) Civic Creativity: Role Playing Games in Deliberative Process, International Journal of Communication 11 (2017): 19.
D’Ignazio, C., Hope, A., Churchill, R., Michelson, R., Zuckerman , E.(2016) “A Feminist HCI Approach to Designing Postpartum Technologies: ‘When I first saw a breast pump I was wondering if it was a joke.’” Proceedings of the 33rd Annual ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. (ACM, 2016)
D’Ignazio, C., Hope, A., Metral, A., Brugh, W., Raymond, D., Michelson, R., Achituv, T., Zuckerman , E. (2016) Towards a Feminist Hackathon: The Make the Breast Pump Not Suck Hackathon. Journal of Peer Production.
Gordon, E., Haas, J., Michelson, R., (2016) “@Stake: A Game to Facilitate the Process of Deliberative Democracy” Proceedings of the 19th ACM Conference Companion on Computer Supported Cooperative Work & Social Computing (CSCW’16 Companion) ACM, 2016.
Michelson, R., (2015) “Review: Sexualized Media Messages and Our Children: Teaching Kids to be Smart Critics and Consumers.” Journal of Media Literacy Education 7.3: 93-95.
On Medium, I’m @storyworthy
Talks and Facilitations
- Speaker, “Storytelling in Social Impact Design” | Designing Motherhood studio class at UPenn, 9/15/21
- Speaker, “Studying Youth and Family Learning during COVID-19”, Connected Learning Summit, July ‘21
- Speaker, “Families and Tech Learning Needs in COVID”, Computing Research Association (CRA), Remote, 7/22/20
- Speaker, “Families and Tech in COVID”, Workshop on Remote Research Methods (Cooney Center), Remote | 7/17/20
- Speaker, “Stories from the Field: Parenting During COVID-19 ” Bridging The Gap: Re-imagining Parental Support and Wellness for Businesses, Remote | 8/19/20
- Panelist, 30th Annual Partners in Perinatal Health Conference, Norwood, MA, 5/08/2019
- Panelist, “Best Practices” Panel, Second Annual Public Service Symposium , Suffolk University, Boston, MA 04/25/2019
- Postpartum Healthcare Innovation, The Lost Marbles Salon “Birth” theme, Boston, MA, 11/4/2018
- Service Design Panelist, The Service Design Network Boston Chapter Launch, Boston, MA, 9/27/2018
- Designing for Equity: Lessons Learned from the “Make the Breast Pump Not Suck” Hackathon, United States Breastfeeding Committee (USBC), National Breastfeeding Coalitions Conference, Atlanta, Georgia, 8/4/18
- Public Engagement Workshop,Summit on Government Performance & Innovation 2017, Phoenix Arizona, 5/24/17
- Core Conference Organizer, Civic Imagination: Designing and Building a Better Future, Boston MA, 6/3/17
- Game Facilitator, Frontiers of Democracy Conference2017, Boston, MA, 6/22/17
- @Stake Game Facilitation, The Northeast Youth Philanthropy Conference, Waltham, MA, 11/20/16
- Emerging Citizens Workshop Facilitation, for National Media Literacy Week, Boston, MA, 11/4/16
- Public Engagement Workshop, Code for America Summit, Oakland, CA, 11/2/16
- Preview of the Public Engagement Toolkit, Final Convening of the City Accelerator’s Cohort on Public Engagement, Seattle, WA, 9/20-9/21
- Chart the Course Game Facilitation, Office of Science and Technology Policy, The White House, DC, 9/28/16
- Boston Service Learning Centers Ecosystem Brainstorm, The Engagement Lab at Emerson College, Boston, MA 8/22/16
- Re-designing the Breast Pump, Ignite Boston: Data Talk,Boston, MA, 8/11/16
- Social Movements and Global Campaigns Support Design Workshop, The Engagement Lab, Boston, MA, 6/29/17
- Deliberative Democracy through Play: @Stake Workshop, The International Conference on Participatory Budgeting, 5/22/16
- “A Feminist HCI Approach to Designing Postpartum Technologies: ‘When I first saw a breast pump I was wondering if it was a joke”, CHI 2016 (Human-Computer Interaction Conference), 5/7/16-5/12/16
- Human-Centered Design Workshop, Level-up: Pathways to STEM at MIT, 4/10/16
- Game Design for Deliberative Democracy and Civic Creativity, poster session at Computer-Supported Cooperative Work and Social Computing (CSCW 2017), San Francisco, CA, 2/27/16-3/2/16
- Designing Games for Social Change Workshop, Citizen + Virtual Program, Boston, MA, 1/9/16
- Introduction to Civic Media, Citizen + Virtual Program, Boston, MA, 1/9/16
- “Something You Can’t Live Without”, an interactive art booth in collaboration with The League of Creative Interventionists at the Outside Lands Festival, San Francisco, CA, 8/5/15-8/7/15
- Digital Activism and Youth Panel, The New Civics Practitioners Conference, 6/15
- Intergenerational Trauma: A Theatre of the Oppressed Workshop, The Moishe House Kavod Healing and Renewal Retreat, 2/21/15
What do Book Clubs Have to do with Abortion? Exploring Abortion Disclosure and Contact Theory, Psycho-social Workshop research presentation, New Orleans, 4/10/13